Sunday, October 26, 2008

Caffeine: Necter of the God(s)

I’ll start things off simply. I love coffee (read: caffeine). Fuel for experimentation, fuel for fun, fuel for … well … all of the “good” ( ;-) ) things in life. What has caffeine fueled you to do?

Fuel … why the word fuel. This Shock Coffee's Triple Latte coursing through my nervous system at the moment is more like crack. The manufacturer states that there’s “up to 50% more caffeine than other gourmet coffee’s”. Caffeine isn’t listed on the “Nutrition Facts” label of the can, but the site’s FAQ went on to say that there is “the equivalent of about 2 cups of coffee”. .::Nods sagely::. I can dig it. But the question still remains: How much caffeine is in this stuff? I found this site that seems to be pretty much against every libation that I hold dear. Well, really it’s a page from some broadcasting company in Australia so its existence is probably due to the need for shock and awe (for $$$). The researchers, I’m assuming (dangerous territory that), are competent. And with that in mind I look at their findings: “It's usually presumed that a regular cup of coffee contains 100mg of caffeine but it may range between 40 and 176 mg and the mean is closer to 85mg.” So 85 x 2 = anyone …. anyone? Yeah, you smarty, in your head and all. 170mg of caffeine love per 8oz can of slimmy. Even at a conservative rough est. of this can’s content, that’s a [technical term follows:] crap-ton of caffeine.

The real beauty of this type of drink (compact energy drinks containing either massive quantities of caffeine or other exotic compounds –taurine– [/me beams. I luff that stuff too]) is the ease of consumption. Grab it. Pound it. Feel it.

Reiteration: What has caffeine fueled you to do?

1 comment:

Christy Bryan said...

Get an offer to dispose your broken laptop quickly and easily. They'll collect it free of charge, wipe the data from your hard drive and, in many cases, pay you for it! Please get more info on it recycling.